Lack of Agreement: Examples and Effects on Writing
Lack of agreement is a common grammatical error that can affect the readability and clarity of a piece of writing. It occurs when the subject and verb do not agree in number, tense, or person. In this article, we will explore some examples of lack of agreement and discuss its effects on writing.
Examples of Lack of Agreement
1. Number agreement: The subject and verb do not agree in singular and plural forms.
Incorrect: The boys eats burgers.
Correct: The boys eat burgers.
Incorrect: The boy were playing soccer.
Correct: The boys were playing soccer.
2. Tense agreement: The subject and verb do not agree in past, present, or future tense.
Incorrect: John gone to the store.
Correct: John went to the store.
Incorrect: We are going to the beach yesterday.
Correct: We went to the beach yesterday.
3. Person agreement: The subject and verb do not agree in first, second, or third person.
Incorrect: She am tired.
Correct: She is tired.
Incorrect: You is a great friend.
Correct: You are a great friend.
Effects of Lack of Agreement on Writing
1. Confusion: Lack of agreement can obscure the meaning of a sentence, making it difficult for the reader to understand what the writer is trying to convey.
Example: The team, along with their coach, were celebrating their victory.
Is it the team or the coach who is celebrating?
2. Lack of professionalism: Errors in grammar can make a piece of writing appear unprofessional and poorly written, leading to a negative impression on the reader.
Example: The company had made some good decision, but there were still other issues that needed to be address.
This sentence lacks agreement in tense and pluralization.
3. Loss of credibility: Lack of agreement can lead to a loss of credibility on the part of the writer, as errors in grammar can signify a lack of attention to detail and a disregard for accuracy.
Example: The doctors was not in agreement about the best course of treatment.
This sentence lacks agreement in person and number, making it unclear which doctors are being referred to.
Lack of agreement is a common grammatical error that can have negative effects on writing, including confusion, lack of professionalism, and loss of credibility. By paying attention to subject-verb agreement, writers can improve the clarity and readability of their work and convey their intended message more effectively.